This collection contains the records of the Gamma of Minnesota chapter of Phi Beta Kappa at St. Catherine University. When Phi Beta Kappa voted to grant a chapter to the College of St. Catherine in September 1937 it made St. Kate's the first Catholic institution to receive a PBK charter. The Gamma of Minnesota chapter was installed on May 17, 1938.
The Phi Beta Kappa digital collection contains materials related to the chapter's founding. These include:
- Documents from the chapter's installation, including the charter, ceremony invitation and program, and first constitution and by-laws
- Correspondence dating back to 1928 surrounding St. Catherine's efforts to attain a PBK chapter
- Letters of congratulations received when approval was granted
- Minutes of chapter meetings, as well as meetings of the organization committee and the executive board
Other documents will be added to the Phi Beta Kappa collection over time.
For more information:
Archives and Special Collections